Saturday, July 24, 2010

Inception

We just saw INCEPTION on the smallest IMAX screen known to man, but it was crystal clear and sounded great.

Also--decent, fresh movie-house pizza delivered by an usher--but no beer in that precinct Crying or Very sad .

I can't be objective about the Nolan brothers.

I'm a huge fan of MEMENTO and I love most stories which mess with linear time.

So--I'll try to be objective about this--and maybe someone can tell me where I missed something.

SOME ODD THOUGHTS I HAD WHILST THE IMAX FILM SOUND RATTLED MY NADS...

1. Chase seen in the van.

I noticed that the rear view mirror was missing.

I understand that in the pre-digital age they were left out as not to show the camera, so why leave one out now?

I saw the "MAKING OF" thingie on TV--they tried to keep the CGI to a bare minimum, shot with real mountains in the background and yada yada yada, so why do I have to be drawn out of the fictional reality by seeing that they failed to either shoot around or digitally replace a rear view mirror in a long chase scene?

2. The totem.

I read DEV's idea that his kids (seeing their faces) were the "real totem" but I don't buy it.

And I think Dev is awesome.

But, IMHO, the whole setup at the end of the movie was too perfect, too idyllic, too un-Nolan-brothers like to ring true to their penchant for darkness.

Look at the ending of MEMENTO.

Look at the ending of THE DARK KNIGHT.

The brothers Nolan (although, it looks like Jonathan either sat this one out or was uncredited) make dark endings.

If that totem is still spinning, it's a dream.

And that house at the end and the age of the kids were exactly the same as what was recorded in his memory.

And anyone whose had kids know that they grow overnight.

And anyone who has had a house knows that it changes over time.

So--I think it's a dream.

3. So, if it is a dream, when did it start?

I don't know.

OVERALL

I liked the film, wanted to love it.

And I'll rank this as the third best Nolan film I've seen, which is still miles beyond the standard fare.

No comments:

Post a Comment